When deciding between contact lenses or eyeglasses to correct your vision, how do you know which is best for you? It’s really a matter of personal preference, but other factors to consider in your decision include your lifestyle, convenience, comfort and your budget. Keep in mind that one is not necessarily better than the other and that there are pros and cons to both.
- Glasses provide a shield of protection from dust and debris in the environment that can irritate eyes
- In the long run glasses costs less than contact lenses as they require less frequent replacement
- Glasses require little cleaning and maintenance and because you’re not touching or putting anything into your eye, glasses significantly reduce the risk of any bacterial infection(s)
- You’re less likely to suffer from dry eye associated with wearing contact lenses for many hours
- You can choose a pair that reflects your personal style
- Glasses can be a hassle when you’re active. Not only do you have to make frequent adjustments to try and keep them from falling off, but you run the risk of losing and even breaking them
- If you’re not used to wearing glasses, their pressure can actually create discomfort which can lead to headaches
- Peripheral vision can be blocked
- Peripheral vision is unobstructed
- You can participate in physical activities (that don’t involve water) without the hassle and fear of having them break
- Dry eye is common after extended wear which can cause discomfort as the amount of oxygen reaching the eye is reduced
- It can sometimes take time for them to sit comfortably in your eye which may require some adjustment
- Require frequent cleaning and maintenance to reduce the risk of bacterial infections. This includes always washing your hands before touching the contacts as well as cleaning the case regularly and refilling it with fresh contact lens solution. If you know it’s going to be hard to keep up with the maintenance required for proper contact lens care then you may want consider daily disposables that can be tossed at the end of every day
Buda Vision Source
At Buda Vision Source our mission is to provide you with quality eye care. Whether you decide between glasses or contact lenses (or maybe even both), we can help! We carry over 900 designer frames including Kate Spade, Ray Ban, Oakley, Nine West, Michael Kors, Fossil, Tommy Hilfiger, Nike and many more! For many prescriptions, we can have your glasses ready in less than an hour. We are your one stop shop for looking and seeing your best. Don’t miss out on our back to school special!