In support of Children’s Eye Health & Safety Month, Buda Vision Source wants you to know about the importance of protecting and maintaining children’s eye health.
What is Special about Children’s Vision?
Reports have estimated that up to 25% of students in grades K – 6 have vision-related problems, which may contribute to poor school performance. Early detection is key to diagnosing and treating vision-related problems. The visual system in children matures quite rapidly within the first few years, making regular comprehensive eye exams a must for children. In addition, increasing awareness of protecting children’s eyes from the sun is part of eye health and safety.
Children’s Eyes and UV Protection
An eye-opening article that was recently published by The Wall Street Journal aims to increase awareness about the importance of eye protection for children to lower the risk of developing eye problems. Some of the facts highlighted in the article include:
– Parents often underestimate the protection required for their children’s eyes, but are careful about sun exposure to the skin
– UV rays are cumulative and irreversible
– Children are more vulnerable to UV rays because their eyes are less mature and cannot filter UV light as effectively as adults
– The average child takes in 3 times the annual UV exposure compared to adults
– Exposure can lead to eyelid cancer, increased risk of cataracts, and macular degeneration
– Approximately 50% of Americans have light colored eyes, which makes them more susceptible to UV-related damage
– Risk of sunburn to the eyes is greatest from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., and from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
For optimal UV protection, you want to look for sunglasses that are labelled ‘100% UV Protection’ (to block the rays that penetrate deep into the eye), or UV400 that block both UV-A and UV-B rays (UVB rays are mostly absorbed into the cornea and the lens). Newer wraparound styles provide additional protection from the sun and stay put compared to more basic styles. They are good for when your child doesn’t like wearing sunglasses, or if they are constantly active and on-the-go.
Buda Vision Source
With back to school quickly approaching, now is the perfect time to book your child’s comprehensive eye exam. We will look at their overall eye health, eye tracking, focusing, and vision development. Call us today at 512-295-0076 to schedule an appointment. We have a large selection of eye glasses and sunglasses for all ages!